Tea Consumption in Panama is Becoming a Tasteful Habit

teapot-sugarTo all of our readers we extend a warm Happy New Year for a prosperous 2015!

In Panama we are experiencing a surprising growth in the tea market and those who are betting on this business argue that the secret to their success is in the way it is served and the care that is given to the customer. Tea, one of the most consumed beverages in the world, is only preceded by water and coffee.  It dates back to China when it was a drink of medicinal use, later came to Europe and North America.

Each infusion is different, the purveyours claim; its aroma and flavor easily captivate those who choose it. The ritual behind its preparation is easy but careful, because a few minutes more may change its essence.

In Panama the taste for tea has increased between January and June 2014, 218 mil 912 kilos of tea were imported in excess of one million dollars, according to the Comptroller General of the Republic.

Of this grand total, fermented black tea was the largest variety imported, with 172, 000 (711 kilos); followed by green tea, with 46,000 (201 kilos).

In Panama, for the last two years, the enjoyment of this ancient beverage has taken hold. Today tea time has suddenly become a stylish pass time to be shared with friends in hotels or places created for just such a moment of relaxation.

For example, at the Sheraton Hotel, afternoon tea is served on schedule from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm with a pre-defined menu. The cost is $ 15.95 per person plus tax, while for children 4-12 years the price is $8.95. They have about 12 varieties.

Not only the hotels are offering the pleasure of a good cup of tea as there are facilities devoted exclusively to a wonderful “tea time.” Lucas Kardonski and his sister Carolina saw the need to create a quality establishment where customers could consume and excellent cup of tea or coffee. Thus Té Café was born where more than 65 varieties of tea are offered. Among the most liked is green tea, white tea, and the fruit flavored varieties, most imported products from China, Sri Lanka, India, Japan and South Africa.

In Té Café teapots are priced at $ 3.00 and yielding two or three cups. Kardonski describes their clientele as selective and demanding, ranging from youth to seniors, with women making up much of their customers. Their success has exceeded all expectations and he does not rule out opening another location.

Another option for tea lovers is One Two Tea. There you can taste 68 varieties of tea and their goal is to eventually be able to offer 200 types. Here the tea is served hot or cold, it sells for around $ 3.50 and is accompanied by a sweet or savory snack. The most popular flavors are sexy almond-fruit and mango fruit lover.

Daniel Mendelsohn, one of the partners of this tea room explains that the concept was designed with the purpose of having a place where people can gather with friends for tea. On the plus side, he says, is that Panamanians are increasingly becoming interested in consuming tea. He reveals that 40% of his customers are Panamanian and the remaining 40% are foreigners. Not bad for Panama.

At Chez Titi Tea Lounge, however, this statistic varies.  There, 70% of the customers are Panamanians with the remaining 30% foreigners. In this tea parlor 55 types of organic teas and certificates are traded, besides the ones made by Chez Titi. Their products come from Asia then go to the U.S. market to be certified as organic, then imported to Panama. An afternoon tea at Chez Titi will cost you around $ 18.50 per person, which includes a your tea served on English china with sweet and savory snacks, and the teapots are always presented “dressed” in tea cozies. In Addition, they offer the option of a champagne cocktail, which is made with organic tea, and is price at $ 22.50 per person. Most clients are between 35-55 years of age, says Vanessa Miguel, co-owner of the place. The idea is to offer a healthy choice within a quiet and relaxed atmosphere.

Yet another alternative for spending tea time is offered at Treehouse Market & Coffee. There a cup will cost $ 3.00. Their most popular variety is Mango Flip and the tea is served either hot or cold. Liliana Garrido, general manager of this restaurant says that the place also runs a supermarket offering various brands of tea including Yogi line, one of the favorite brands sought by those who practice yoga.

Source for this article was from:  Martes financiero

One thought on “Tea Consumption in Panama is Becoming a Tasteful Habit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *